Prevention Education Programs
WISE (Wellness Initiative for Senior Education)
What is WISE: An Interactive community-based program for the older adult (60+) population within Passaic County that celebrates healthy aging and educates older adults. Subjects include:
- Making healthy lifestyle choices.
- Risk factors and behaviors you should avoid to stay healthy.
- Examine how alcohol, prescription medications and over the counter medications effect seniors differently and how you can avoid problems.
- Healthcare empowerment.
How do older adults benefit from participation in the WSE Program?
- Increase knowledge in how their bodies age.
- More easily able to recognize the warning signs of depression.
- More likely to improve healthy behaviors and lifestyle choices.
- More likely to improve healthy use of prescription and over the counter medications.
- Reported greater increases in social support over time.
This program is currently available throughout Passaic County in any venue appropriate to the aging population including but not limited to: senior centers, assisted living facilities, faith-based organizations, senior housing developments and libraries. English and Spanish language programming and materials available. Please call (973) 694-1234 and ask for Phil Berlier if you would like to receive additional information or to add your agency on the list of participants. Minimum number of participants is 14 per facility.
I Can Problem Solve (ICPS)
What is I can Problem Solve: School-based program where children are taught how to:
- Solve Problems Including evaluation of alternative solutions and consequences of each solutions.
- Negotiate for what they want.
- Cope with frustration
- Recognize Feelings in themselves and others.
How Do Participating Children Show Improvement?
- Children are taught HOW to think not WHAT to think.
- Children are better able to share, cooperate and get along with others.
- Children learn to cope with adversity and frustration.
Parents of participating students are invited to attend Raising A Thinking Child workshops offered at participating locations.
Teachers, administrators and other members take an active role in implementing the I Can Problem Solve curriculum throughout the schools.
This program is currently offered in the city of Paterson, serving two schools.